The Conservation and Environmental Project has been initiated under our integrated poverty alleviation and conservation program. This program educates, offsets carbon emissions and transforms communities into healthier more sustainable environments. Many people especially in the rural area in Uganda live on severely degraded land. These land conditions directly affect their living standards. It is very difficult to grow food, collect firewood, or make a living off the land. Degraded land also contributes to global warming — when trees are gone, they can no longer remove the greenhouse gas carbon dioxide from the atmosphere.
WHAT WILL YOU BE DOING?
Volunteer’s project activities include the following activities:
– Building and maintaining trails
– Environmental education
– Helping the existing staff members/environmental conservationists in projects
– Reforestation, agro-forestry, organic and sustainable organic farming practices, nursery protects and environmental education.
– Support training of farmers in sustainable agriculture activities such as appropriate irrigation techniques, soil regeneration, tree planting, mushroom farming, and fisheries management.
-Help various villages create model gardens and distribute seeds to community members.
– Teach community members about soil/water conservation and local environmental issues.
– Educate communities about water and sanitation management
WHAT THE PROGRAM ACHIEVES
The project entails promotion of environmental conservation and management practices through training the students and communities in environment protection activities such as tree planting, flood control mechanism, fruit growing and energy conservation technologies. It is intended to help people living on degraded land to improve their lives through environmentally sound development projects. Through our network of technicians, volunteers, and community leaders, we provide technical knowledge on agroforestry, reforestation, energy conservation technologies and sustainable development, along with planting materials. We help communities return their land to sustainable production.
This project is suitable for volunteers interested in helping build better community for the underprivileged to live in and who have knowledge in the agriculture industry. Volunteers are placed with NGOs according their skill set.
Please contact us to check eligibility and find out how you can make a difference.